Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Teaching Valerie math.

Valerie does not like math at all. Or at least she didn't until I started her on the kumon workbooks. I bought her the addition, counting coins and telling time ones. After months of frustration on her part we are finally making progress. I found a free online game that she loves that has made a big difference.It is called Rainforest Maths and is by Jenny Eager. Saxon math is great for normal kids, but not for Valerie.I stated her off in the Kindergarten level math since she is so far behind academically speaking. With Saxon Math, the lessons are all scripted. I gave up on it when we were midway through the book.She seems much more relaxed with Kumon workbooks.She is even doing much better with the worksheets that I print up for her.

For those who do not know,Valerie has severe autism and is still pretty much nonverbal.I have been homechooling her for a year now.

2 comments:

Julie L. said...

Math is hard for my guy too. If you'd like a diversion from homeschooling, check out my tag at autism blog net. You are it! Do not feel an obligation or rush to do this as it took me two weeks to get to mine!! Hope all is going well. take care--jml

Krista said...

Thanks, I will check that out.How old is your guy? Kumon workbooks might work for him too. They have an incremental approach to math and they concentrate on the primary basics.