Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dick and Jane.

One of the first things her therapists did was start her reading. They have some of the old Dick and Jane readers and they began to teach her sight words straight out of them. "See Spot Run" and "Oh Oh Oh" (that one makes her laugh for some silly reason).

I took it from there and proceeded to buy her as many of the reprinted books as I could. I also scored several vintage readers from ebay like Alice and Jerry and Betts Basic Readers. She enjoys them now and will read them on her own. Today she is at about a first to second grade level in reading and we work on it daily. I do not use a box curriculum for her. My approach is much more like unschooling since we do not have set times for lessons and there are no grades, tests or homework. We are always looking for new material to use for her. I was using Saxon Math K, but found myself correcting her behavior more than I was teaching. We use vintage science and social studies readers. She is going to have a small garden this year, since she likes to read about seeds. Her Dad wants her to grow watermelon but I suspect that he has an ulterior motive for that.

No comments: