Saturday, May 17, 2008

Still working on math

We are still working on addition with Valerie.She continues to do well with the Kumon Workbooks and I think she is ready to learn the addition facts.Kumon uses a number line which seems to work with Valerie. When initially working with her I used a pencil to show how many "jumps" there were between the numbers. For example: If the problem read 2+2= I would have her find 2 on the number line, put her pencil there and count two jumps and have her tell me what number we were on.She seems to have figured it out. She still requires constant prompting when doing any kind of homeschool activity.

We are going to use the Kumon workbooks until she has advanced beyond them, then we will look into other math programs.For the future I am thinking about using Devlopemental Math, Miquon or Singapore Math. Kumon is not a complete curriculum for math, but they focus on the primary things that children need to learn. As soon as we get our darned stimulus payment that the U.S.governement has been kind enought to offer us I am also going to order her funtastic frogs, counters and workbooks. I have heard that Math-U-See is a good curriculum for autism too.

No comments: