Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summertime

Well I have actually gotten Valerie to some library activities this summer-and she sat quietly and learned! First, there was a wildlife exhibit where she sat nicely next to me. Then yesterday she read out loud to a certified therapy dog whose handler brings him to the library so kids can practice reading out loud to him. With her autism I was afraid she would not want to do it if there were too many little kids around but we were the next to last ones to read so there were not many left at all.We learned about what a therapy dog does for people with disabilities.

When we walked in the dog came right up to Valerie and greeted her. When he needed to get up to stretch he came to her again. I think he sensed that she has a disability. We are going to read with him again next week.

I finally found a homeschool group for special needs kids, so I hope to join it in the near future. There is also an Autism social club that I plan on joining. Maybe Mom can finally get socialized.

No comments: